Embracing the Torch: My Message to Future Generations

I serve as the CEO of DPBell & Associates, a prominent global Public Affairs firm. Our firm comprises dedicated professionals stationed in significant cities such as NYC, NJ, Tel-Aviv, CA, DC, and various locations across the African continent.

My drive stems from a deep-rooted sense of purpose rather than a desire for status. Throughout my 25-year tenure in politics, government, and entertainment, I have often found myself as the youngest, the only female, and the one with a different skin tone at decision-making tables. Undoubtedly, this journey has been far from easy. However, it has never deterred my ambition or my commitment to making an impact based on purpose rather than position. Every day, I am motivated to effect change in the world and my community.

We, the torchbearers, carry the flame.

Black women have consistently left indelible marks, catalyzed transformation, and shaped the world on a grand scale. Sadly, these accomplishments are frequently disregarded, diminished, or even wrongfully claimed by others. Black women often face imitation, dismissal, underestimation, tone policing, suppression, control, excessive scrutiny, underpayment, lack of sponsorship, misrepresentation, lack of protection, disbelief, and convenient labeling as angry and difficult. When their presence goes unnoticed, it is not due to their absence; rather, it is a deliberate exclusion. However, any individual in the room can change this dynamic if they genuinely desire to do so. If black women are absent from your leadership teams, challenge the discomfort and ask questions. As Shirley Chisolm wisely stated, "When they don't give you a seat at the table, bring a folding chair."

We, the torchbearers, embody trendsetting, transformative power, and leadership.

Maya Angelou once described black women as possessing a form of strength that borders on the intimidating—an unyielding resilience that spans from their minds to their feet, akin to an unbreakable steel rod.

Upon reaching the age of 45, one enters a stage in life marked by authenticity and a lack of pettiness. Today, I wish to engage with each of you in this room with complete candor. Carrying the torch encompasses not only a responsibility to honor the power within us but also to recognize the power that precedes us and will follow us.

Throughout my career in government and politics, some have questioned my presence at the decision-making table. How could I, under 40 years old, partake in crucial discussions? Many harbored insecurities about my age, my seemingly influential role, my race, or simply my gender. The notion that I possessed power, influence, and access unsettled those who preferred that I either "wait my turn," submit to their authority, or disappear altogether. However, this narrative is not new.

I hail from a lineage of ancestors who paved the way for my presence at that table. I wear their legacy with pride and unwavering affirmation. My great-grandmother, a trailblazer, was among the first black women in her neighborhood to purchase a house outright after years of toiling as a domestic worker. My mother experienced daily harassment from racist white boys who insisted she did not belong in school. My family instilled in me the belief that I should never allow others to intimidate or deter me. I possessed a purpose that led to real impact. Thus, every time doubt overshadowed my presence at the table, I would assert my thoughts regarding the issue at hand and conclude with the statement, "I drink deeply from wells I did not dig; I have more than earned my spot at this table."

Black women frequently face trials designed to undermine their roles and existence, sometimes seeking to silence them. Just ask Auntie Maxine Waters. Often, we find ourselves compelled to "Reclaim Our Time," refusing to be silenced or ignored.

As torchbearers, it is our duty to ensure that our voices, power, and presence are never disregarded. We must stand firm in our identities and in our connection to something greater than ourselves.

Carrying the torch demands that we refuse to remain silent, challenge the status quo, question the system, and even embrace a few adversaries along the way. Yet, carrying the torch should not solely be seen as a burdensome task; it should grant us the freedom to live, breathe, thrive, and receive the respect we deserve, all without fear of retribution.

Indeed, the reality of carrying the torch is undeniably difficult. Often, we find ourselves breaking barriers, pioneering uncharted paths, and standing alone. However, it does not have to be this way exclusively.

Allow me to introduce a new paradigm for those who carry the torch and those preparing to pass it on. Black women, you deserve respect, ease, and a guarantee that your significance will never be diminished.

Ease:

Occasionally, take a moment to pause.

Acknowledge your power, your voice, your spirit, and your inherent worth.

Sit in solitude and

cherish and protect your peace.

Embrace the concept of ease.

Some individuals will attempt to obstruct your path, primarily due to their own insecurities. As you carry the torch, they will try to divert you, question your resolve, and perhaps even attempt to break you. They may test your determination, but they cannot crush your spirit, nor can they extinguish your torch—your fire. You are an unstoppable force... and you deserve ease.

Learn More:

https://www.pinterest.com/desireepeterkinbellnj/

https://triberr.com/desireepeterkinbell

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thriving, Not Just Surviving: The Working Mother's Playbook

Why Are Female Employees Valuable?

Unveiling the Unparalleled Importance and Timeliness of Investing in Africa